The Department of Anthropology is excited to begin the new academic year after some major changes as well as significant growth.

Dr. Kathleen Sherman, our former Chair, accepted a new position as the Vice Provost of Undergraduate Affairs. As of July 1, I took on the role as interim Chair. Although I am enthusiastic about my new job and continuing the positive trajectory our Department is enjoying in terms of student interest and nationally recognized and funded research endeavors, it will be difficult to fill Dr. Sherman’s shoes. Under her direction the Department has grown in numbers and visibility. We wish Dr. Sherman the best of luck in her new role and will miss her tremendously.

The new academic year in Anthropology commences with a cause for celebration as well.  Expanding the number of biological anthropologists in the Department has been a long-term goal that we have finally reached with the addition of Dr. Michael Pante. Dr. Pante works at the iconic site of Olduvai Gorge in Tanzania, studying the hunting strategies and dietary ecology of early Homo. His addition to the faculty will allow the Department to expand course offerings and involve our students in this important work. Join me in warmly welcoming Dr. Pante to our faculty and wishing him success in his new role as Assistant Professor.

This year we expect to continue enrollment growth and have created new programs and events that will increase the visibility of the department on campus and in the community.  You will find many of these events described on our newly improved website and in the upcoming addition of the all college and department newsletters.  I am excited to begin my journey as chair and look forward to meeting new students and friends of the department in the months to come.

Best wishes for a great new academic year,

Mica Signature

Mica Glantz